The signs and symptoms of swine flu are similar to those of influenza and of influenza-like illness in gene...
The signs and symptoms of swine flu are similar to those of influenza and of influenza-like illness in general:
3. sore throat
4. muscle pains
5. severe headache
8. general discomfort
* To diagnose swine influenza A infection, a respiratory specimen would generally need to be collected within the first 4 to 5 days of illness (when an infected person is most likely to be shedding virus).
* However, some persons, especially children, may shed virus for 10 days or longer.
* Identification as a swine flu influenza A virus requires sending the specimen to CDC for laboratory testing.
Vaccines and Treatment:
* Officials do not know if the seasonal flu vaccine will protect against the A(H1N1) swine flu virus.
* In the laboratory, the antiviral drugs Tamiflu and Relenza are effective against this new flu; amantadine and rimantadine are not.
1. Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing.
2. Wash hands regularly with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are also effective.
3. Avoid close contact with sick people.
4. If sick, self-monitor and stay home from work or school and limit contact with others.
5. Consult your doctor immediately should signs and symptoms of flu persist.