Baboon Mating At The Prospect Park Zoo In Brooklyn New York
The Prospect Park Zoo is a twelve acre (4.86 ha)zoo located off Flatbush Avenue on the eastern side of Prospect Park, Brooklyn, New York City. Its precursor, the Menagerie, had opened in 1890. The present facility first opened as a city zoo on July 3, 1935and was part of a larger revitalization program of city parks, playgrounds and zoos initiated in 1934 by Parks Commissioner Robert Moses. It was built, in large part, through Civil Works Administration and Works Project Administration (WPA) labor and funding.After 53 years of operation as a city zoo run by the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation, Prospect Park Zoo closed on June 1988 for reconstruction. The closure signaled the start of a five year, $37 million dollar renovation program, that, save for the exteriors of the 1930s-era buildings, completely replaced the zoo. It was rededicated on October 5, 1993 as the Prospect Park Wildlife Conservation Center,joining an integrated system of four zoos and one aquarium managed by the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS).The Prospect Park Zoo presently offers children's educational programs, is engaged in restoration of endangered species populations, runs a Wildlife Theater and reaches out to the local community through volunteer programs. As of 2007, the zoo housed nearly 630 animals representing 141 species; it was visited by about 234,000 people in 2007.
The Prospect Park Zoo is part of the Wildlife Conservation Society integrated network of zoos and aquaria spread throughout New York City.Located at 450 Flatbush Avenue, across from the Brooklyn Botanical Garden, the zoo is situated on a 12-acre (4.9 ha) plot somewhat lower than street level in Prospect Park and is one of the smaller facilities in the WCS system. Visitors may enter through the Flatbush Avenue entrance or from within Prospect Park, near Leffert's Homestead and the Carousel.