By Wand Agency
The Convent of Santa Domingo is the oldest in Lima, just a few blocks from the Plaza de Armas.
Construction began shortly after the founding of the city in 1535. Its founder, a friar named Tomás de San Martin, would become Preceptor Prior of the Dominican Order.
The church of three naves includes a dome that represents one of Limas most decorative and harmonious architectural designs.
Inside its walls is a carved cedar choir loft and walls adorned with Sevillian glazed tiles. Cusqueña Baroque paintings pay homage to the life of Saint Thomas Aquinas.
San Marcos University, the first in South America, was founded in the convent in 1551.