The Plaza de Armas of Arequipa is the pulsing heart of a provincial city rich in history and local culture.
Its inhabitants express a fierce loyalty to their city, rivaling that of any Parisian or New Yorker.
Theres even a joke that Arequipeneans need a passport to visit the rest of Peru.
In 1735 Bishop Cavero built a three-story high fountain topped by the image of an archangel that the people named Tuturutu.
On the north side of the Plaza is the impressive, twin-towered Cathedral, founded in 1612 and largely rebuilt in the 19th century following repeated damaged from earthquakes and fire.
The plaza is surrounded on its other three sides by a string of buildings linked by colonial arcades..
Beneath the archways are a range of cafes and restaurants. A short distance uphill on the way to the Santa Catalina convent youll find a broad range of arts and crafts stalls.
Fertur Peru Travel.
A full service travel agency and tour operator dedicated to making your journey to Peru a dream come true.