Even when we think we're being careful, sometimes we win...
Even when we think we're being careful, sometimes we wind up with a painful sunburn. So what are the best sunburn remedies? Dermatologist and author Dr Doris day shares her tips on how to treat a sunburn, including some home remedies for quick sunburn relief.
How to get quick sunburn relief
If you have a fever or chills, you might have sun poisoning. Skip the home remedies and treatments for sunburns and call your doctor or go to the ER right away.
For quick sunburn relief:
* Take an anti-inflammatory right away, like aspirin or ibuprofen. They will reduce redness and swelling.
* Go inside or somewhere cooler, which will help release the heat from your skin.
* Minimize the pain by adding water back to the skin. Products like hydrocortisone, aloe vera gel, or Solarcaine will help cool off the skin and reduce redness.
If you are shopping for sunburn treatment products:
* Aloe vera from a plant works slightly better than gel, but either one will help.
* Look for products that contain hydrocortisone or mentholated ingredients.
* Take a cool or lukewarm bath with a paste of oatmeal, whole milk, honey, and aloe vera gel. Soak for 15 minutes. It will add moisture back into your skin and prevent peeling.
* If you have a fever or chills, you might have sun poisoning. Call your doctor or go to the ER right away.
* Moisturize your skin as much as possible for the first few days (aloe vera from a plant works great but a gel will also work well).
Home remedies for sunburns:
* Take cool or lukewarm showers. Hot/warm water will irritate the burn and delay healing.
* If you have to go back into the sun, wear protective clothing and apply plenty of sunscreen.