By Amazi Box
Canadian Tech Online - http://www.canadiantechonline.com/
Read the Original Article - http://bit.ly/ccrInE
What is WordPress?
Wordpress is an Open Source Content Management System (CMS), that uses your Web browser to run a series of scripts to display a webpage. The content of those pages are provided through entries in a MySQL database. Most often, Wordpress is deployed as an application to publish blogs. As a CMS, it's very powerful and easy to use. After the initial install and setup, if you are able to handle the complexity of writing a Hotmail email message, then you can handle web publishing with WordPress.
Features of WordPress:
* Template System
o Click and drag widgets around to move content boxes where you want them on the site's layout
o Very easy and standard framework to make themes. Tens of throusands of free webpage templates for download online. Look pro in no time!
o There is native tracking support built into WordPress. Find out quickly who is commenting, linking back, and mentioning your site from around the web
o There are literally thousands of free downloadable plugins available for WordPress online. There are even more scalable and powerful ones available for a small fee to the developers of the plugin.
o Rapidly build and deploy a website with enterprise level functionality.
Installing Wordpress to your Windows Computer
Step 1 - Get WAMP Server
* Click Download, then Telecharger
* Download the EXE file to a place where you will remember it on your hard drive
Step 2 - Get WordPress
* Not www.wordpress.COM that is a social blog site that uses similar software
* Download the ZIP file to a place where you will remember it on your hard drive.
Step 3 - Install WAMP Server & Extract Wordpress
* Install WAMP Server, Start All Services
* Open up Wordpress ZIP Files and extract it to C:\wamp\www\wordpress\
Step 4 - Create Website Database
* Create the MySQL Database for the Wordpress site to run off of
* Go to http://localhost/
* Click on PhpMyAdmin, create a new website database
Step 5 - Run the Install script
* Browse to WordPress directory that you extracted the ZIP file to
* Follow the installation steps
* When prompted for the Database name - type it in exactly how you typed it in before
* The default database username will be root
* The default database password will be blank.
Install wordpress to your local computer! This is a great tip for anyone that is familiar with the wordpress platform and is seriously thinking of getting into web development. With this setup, you are able to host your own internal wordpress installation to develop your applications or sites for your clients (if they aren't ready to go live).