Constructed in the 1890's, the Abingdon Branch was first named as the Abingdon Coal and Iron Company Railro...
Constructed in the 1890's, the Abingdon Branch was first named as the Abingdon Coal and Iron Company Railroad.
By 1900, it was changed to Virginia-Carolina Railroad, becoming the part of the Norfolk & Western Railroad eighteen years later.
The line was known to locals as the "Virginia Creeper" where a train was nicknamed as it traveled up and down the branch.
The line was also where O. Winston Link photographed and recorded sounds of steam-powered runs on the branch before dieselization took over all steam.
After a flood in 1977 shutted down all service along the Abingdon Branch, it was now abandoned, then turned into a rail-trail in present day.
Narrated by Ralph H. Morse
Footage segment (c) Herron Rail Video