1]User should take extra care while handling the toxic or infectious liquids to prevent coming in direct co...
1]User should take extra care while handling the toxic or infectious liquids to prevent coming in direct contact with these liquids. Usage of hand gloves, apron and proper face mask is recommended as a precaution against the accidental spillage over the body parts.
2]The operating button should be pushed/released back slowly and steadily at all the times. Taking extra care while working with liquids of high viscosity. Never let the operating button snap back to the Ready position while aspirating the liquid.
• Aspirate liquid into the pipette only when a proper tip is attached to its tip-cone.
• Always clean the tip cone with a dry tissue paper before fixing the tip.
• Ensure that the tip is tightly fitted to the tip cone.
• Reject the tip if any liquid remains sticking on the inner wall of the tip even after the plunger is pushed to the second stage of pushbutton.
• While pipetting , the pipettor should be vertically straight and tip should be dipped only a few millimeters into the liquid.
• Pre-rinsing of tip 5 times with the liquid to be dispensed is recommended while doing the pipette calibration. This is important especially when dispensing the liquids which have a viscosity and density different from water.
• Always control the push button movements with the thumb for consistency.
• Allow liquids, Tips and pipettor to equilibrate with the ambient temperature.
• Pre-rinse the tip several times before use when pipetting at temperature different from ambient.
• Wipe the tip only if there is liquid on the outside of the tip, being careful to avoid touching the tip’s orifice.
• Don’t keep pipette in your hand while not working to avoid transferring of body heat to pipette.
• Select the correct pipetting technique(e.g, Reverse, forward etc.) depending on the nature of the liquid.
• Using excessive force to turn the push button outside the range specified for it may jam the mechanism and damage the pipettor.
• Re-calibration is recommended every 6 months for a pipette used on daily basis. Re-calibration is also recommended in the following cases
1. When working with detergents or foaming liquids.
2. When working with high viscosity liquids.
3. In the event of dismantling of the pipette for servicing, greasing, O-ring replacement etc.
• Use disposable tips only once to avoid cross-contamination.
Avoid using inferior quality tips to ensure accurate dispensing of the liquids.
• When not in use the pipettor should be rested upright on the pipette stand in the vertical position with the tip cone pointing downwards to prevent liquids entering the inside of the pipettor.
• The micropipette user has to be fully aware of the hazards within the samples. Spillage, inhalation or contact with human body are dangerous. The liquid handling element of the procedure should present as few hazards as possible to the user.